Fennel and Orange Salad with Lemon-Ginger Vinaigrette
- 1/4 baguette, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 navel oranges
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, very thinly sliced, plus 1/4 cup fennel fronds
- 4 ounces mustard greens, center ribs and stems removed, leaves torn into bite-size pieces (about 4 cups)
Preheat oven to 375°F. Place baguette slices on a rimmed baking sheet and toast, 8-10 minutes. Let cool and break into pieces. Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, lemon and orange zests, ginger, and pepper in a large bowl; season with salt and whisk in oil.
Using a sharp knife, cut all peel and white pith from oranges; discard. Working over bowl with dressing, cut between membranes to release segments into bowl; discard membranes. Add fennel, fennel fronds, mustard greens, and croutons to bowl; toss to combine.
Recipe and photo from Bon Appetit October 2013