Kohlrabi and Apple Salad with Caraway
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium kohlrabi or 1 medium celery root (celeriac), peeled, thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 2 small heads frisée, torn into bite-size pieces (about 6 cups)
- 1 crisp red apple (such as Pink Lady or Honeycrisp), thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
Toast caraway seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat, tossing often, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
Whisk caraway, oil, vinegar, and mustard in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper.
Add kohlrabi, frisée, apple, and 2 tablespoons chives to bowl with dressing and toss to coat; season with salt and pepper.
Top salad with remaining 2 tablespoons chives just before serving
Recipe and photo from Bon Appetit October 2013